Americans spend more time at work than at any other place apart from their homes. Unsurprisingly, many workers are injured on the job. They can suffer incredibly painful injuries or occupational illnesses which require expensive medical treatment and prevent them from earning a living.
At Etemi Law, our Waterbury workplace accident lawyers can listen to your story and analyze whether you can receive compensation. Please reach out to our firm today to schedule a free consultation.
What Causes Most Workplace Accidents and Injuries?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Connecticut employers reported 32,700 workplace injuries in 2021. The injury rate in Connecticut was higher than the national average, with the transportation industry having the greatest number of injured workers. These injuries cost both employees and employers millions of dollars in lost productivity.
The most common reasons for workplace injuries include:
- Falls. Workers can slip or trip and injure themselves in a fall. Some falls to a lower level are fatal.
- Overexertion. A worker who pushes too hard can injure themselves. Repetitive motion injuries are a type of overexertion injury.
- Struck by accidents. Many workers are struck by equipment or falling objects and suffer traumatic bodily injuries.
- Motor vehicle accidents. These accidents are most common on construction jobsite or for transportation drivers who are on the road.
- Caught in between two objects. These accidents include crush injuries, where a heavy object lands on a worker, or accidents where a limb is caught in a machine.
- Workplace violence. Some workers are injured in an attack from a coworker or customer.
- Toxic exposure. Inhaling or absorbing toxins can lead to illnesses. Many jobsites have fumes, mold, or dangerous chemicals.
Common Workers Compensation Claim Injuries at Work
Our clients are injured in dramatic accidents like explosions or falls, but some suffer serious injuries in a less dramatic fashion. An injured worker might slowly develop a repetitive motion injury or occupational diseases.
Please reach out to our Haven workers compensation attorneys in Waterbury for a workers compensation claim if you suffer any type of injury at work:
- Head or brain trauma. Accidents can lead to concussions, traumatic brain injuries, brain bleeding, and other injuries.
- Back injuries. A back strain or strain can sideline a worker, as can slipped discs, vertebral fracture, or spinal cord injury.
- Skin injuries. Workers suffer burns, lacerations, abrasions, and infections in workplace accidents.
- Illnesses. such as asbestosis, mesothelioma, cancer, or respiratory issues.
- Repetitive motion injuries. These include carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, and bursitis, among many others.
- Electrocution injuries. Electrical current can cause organ damage, burns, and brain injuries. Other workers will fall due to electrocution.
- Ear and eye injuries. Excessive noise can lead to deafness, and chemicals or intense light can damage vision.
Workers Compensation Claims for Workplace Accidents
Being injured at work can immediately threaten your family’s well being. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck, so even one missed pay week of work can squeeze your pocketbook. At Etemi Law, our attorney strives to find all available sources of compensation for our injured clients:
- Workers’ compensation benefits. Connecticut requires that most employers purchase a workers’ compensation insurance policy. You are entitled to these benefits regardless of fault, and they cover medical care and replace some lost wages. Typically, you can receive a percentage of your average weekly wage if you are totally disabled.
- Personal injury claim. Anyone injured at work should consider a lawsuit for compensation. In Connecticut, injured workers can’t sue your employer if you receive workers’ compensation. But you might sue someone else, like the manufacturer of a defective product that exploded or malfunctioned at work, or a member of the public who injured you as part of your workers compensation claim in Waterbury.
- Wrongful death claim. If a loved one died on the job, you might sue for wrongful death.
What Injured Connecticut Workers Should Do after a Workplace Injury
There are certain steps you must take after a workplace injury to preserve your rights to workers compensation:
- Report all work related injuries to your Waterbury employer. Do not delay. If you wait too long, an administrative law judge could reduce your workers’ compensation benefits from your personal injury case.
- Receive medical care promptly. The sooner you receive treatment, the greater the odds of recovery. Your employer might be able to pick the doctor you meet with initially, so ask first to schedule your medical appointments.
- Document the accident. As best you can, try to identify witnesses who saw what happened, and take pictures of the scene if you can using a phone.
- File a written notice of workers compensation claim. Connecticut workers compensation law gives workers only 1 year to file a workers’ compensation claim. The “accident report” your employer filed is not a written notice of workers comp claim. You should file Form 30C.
- Speak with a Haven workers compensation attorney in Waterbury. Many injured workers are struggling with painful injuries, so chasing down paperwork for workers compensation is exhausting. Let us handle getting a claim filed for you and documenting your injuries.
These steps preserve injured workers’ ability to receive compensation following a work related injury. Please call our personal injury attorneys for more helpful tips regarding workers compensation and work injury claims.
How a Waterbury Workers Compensation Lawyer Can Help You
Workplace accidents are scary. Our law firm can lighten the load and streamline the process for obtaining necessary compensation medical benefits. Our workers compensation attorney can:
- Meet with injured workers for a consultation to review the accident and analyze your legal rights.
- Review whether you can file a personal injury or wrongful death claim in addition to a workers’ compensation claim.
- Talk to witnesses to better understand the accident.
- Find evidence to support your claim, including inspection of faulty personal protective equipment.
- File all necessary forms for you before the applicable deadline.
- Answer insurance company questions about your injuries and the accident or illness.
- Handle any negotiation or hearing on your behalf, including the presentation of evidence in a workers’ compensation appeal.
Meet with a Waterbury Workers Compensation Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Workplace accidents sideline too many workers through no fault of their own. Helpfully, you should receive workers comp benefits, including medical care. Knowing what kind of benefits your workers compensation claims you can receive is crucial. If you have questions regarding permanent total disability benefits, temporary total disability benefits, temporary partial disability benefits, permanent partial disability benefits, or other workers comp benefits, we can help you. This is a confusing area of Connecticut law, and you might have more rights to compensation and medical bills than you imagine. Call Etemi Law today to speak with an experienced member of our legal team about what steps to take following a workplace accident. Our personal injury lawyers’ consultations for workers comp are free and no risk.
Our clients deserve to be represented by an experienced attorney will make sure you’re being treated fairly and will help you receive all of the workers comp benefits that you deserve. Call our Waterbury workers compensation lawyer at (203) 680-8080, email, or via our online Free Case Evaluation Form to set up your free consultation regarding your Waterbury workers compensation claims and receive maximum compensation today.
The customer service was phenomenal and was able to answer all my questions and concerns!
Etemi Law has professional experience and serious work ethic I would highly recommend in selecting a lawyer.
Communication, always answering phone calls, always there for any questions no matter what, Etemi Law exceeded my expectations!!
Ron and Lou are terrific attorneys and care a great deal about their clients. I strongly recommend them for car accidents and other personal injury matters.
Hiring Attorney Etemi was life changing. He put my best interests at the forefront, working tirelessly to ensure that I was treated fairly and always informed. Ron was everything you want an attorney to be, and nothing that you don’t. He was thorough, insightful, methodical, informed, collaborative, and deeply passionate about my case. I do — and have — recommend(ed) Ron Etemi and Etemi Law without reservation.
Etemi Law is exceptional. Attorney Ron and Lou Etemi represented me in a very difficult accident case. We won! Etemi Law delivered.
I strongly recommend Etemi Law. Ron and Lou are the best in Connecticut. Thank you, Ron and Lou, for everything that you did for my case.
Ron handled my personal injury case from beginning to conclusion. From my personal experience, Ron is by far one of the best injury lawyers in Connecticut.
I highly recommend Etemi Law! They know the law inside and out and won’t just settle until their clients are provided with what they deserve.
Thank you to Lou and his team for all their help in a time of need. I highly recommend his services.
Ron and Lou’s negotiation and litigation skills are unmatched, and they are highly respected amongst their peers and the community at large.
Etemi Law was phenomenal since the first day we called them for help and delivered great results.
Ron and Lou are absolutely amazing at what they do.
Best in the business. They treat you like family and get results!
Two of the most aggressive attorneys I have ever met.
I highly recommend Etemi Law!
They communicated with me through the entire process . . . They are amazing at what they do!
A law firm that will give you results and treat you like family.
The Etemi brothers are the real deal.
You will not find representation better than Ron and Lou.
There is no law firm better then Etemi Law.
A fantastic duo.
Ron is the best.
Lou is simply the best!
Great attorneys, down to earth.
These guys are the best in CT.
Ron Etemi is a guiding light for our family.
The communication was beyond excellent.
Attorney Lou Etemi is a fighter! He fights for everything his clients deserve.